There are five different types of metal roof systems that you can consider for your commercial building.
Each metal roof system has its own set of advantages, setbacks, and types of metal roofing materials. Depending on the roofing materials, the cost can also vary significantly. Metal and steel roofing is the cheapest compared to other roofing materials, such as copper, zinc, and aluminum roofing systems.
Let’s go over the different metal roofs you can install for your commercial building, their benefits, drawbacks, and costs. Keep reading below!
Exposed Fasteners or Corrugated Metal Roof
If you’re on a budget and looking for a cost-effective roofing solution, exposed fastener metal panels are a great choice. These metal roofing panels overlap each other and can easily be secured on a roof deck. Corrugated metal roofing systems are typically wider, meaning you will only require a few for installation.
The materials and installation of exposed fastener steel roofing materials can cost $2 to $4 Per Sq. Ft, and with labor, the cost can range between $7 to $12 Per Sq. Ft.
- Easier and quicker to install
- Easy to replace
- Different thicknesses on the market
- Available in metal and aluminum roofing options
- Available in a wide variety of shapes
- Potential to cause issues if improperly installed
- Maintenance and inspection required
Metal Slate Roofing
These are metal panels designed to look like slate. Traditional slate roofing is extremely heavy on a building’s structure, causing damage to the roof. Metal slate roofs look good and are lightweight, making them an excellent investment for your commercial building.
The materials and installation can cost between $10 to $16 Per Sq. Ft.
- Same price as a standing seam roof
- Energy efficient
- Weather and wind resistant
- Limited options available
These types of metal roofs give the traditional aesthetic looks of ceramic tiles while offering the same durability as metals. They are also fast and easy to install. With a wide range of colors and patterns to choose from, metal shingles roof is a popular choice for commercial buildings.
The materials and installation of metal shingles made of steel or aluminum can cost between $8 – $12 per square foot. They are also available in copper roofing and zinc metal roofing material, which is more expensive.
- It lasts longer than a traditional asphalt shingle roof
- Reduced cooling costs as it reflects the sun’s heat
- Environmentally friendly
- More expensive to install than asphalt shingles and other types of roof shingles
- It can be challenging to find similar metal shingles, later on, causing inconsistency
- Improper installations can cause severe problems down the line
Insulated Metal Panels
Insulated panels have a metal exterior with an insulation foam core, offering excellent resistance to extreme weather and fire. They are a great choice for commercial buildings with specific climate needs.
Insulated metal panels, including installation, can cost between $8 to $15 per square foot.
- Easy installation
- Energy efficient
- Design flexibility
- Strong and durable
- Low maintenance
- Fire resistant
- Improper installation can cause water infiltration and condensation in the insulated metal roofing system
- Susceptible to corrosion diminishing the structure’s integrity
Standing Seam Metal Roof
Standing seam roofs typically consist of metal or steel panels supported by standing seams. The seams allow the panels to interlock with each other, resulting in a smooth, sleek look.
What’s great about a standing seam roof is that the system enables the panels to expand and contract to changes in temperature, giving it a long life span.
Standing seam metal roofing is the most common type of commercial and industrial metal roofing. It’s easy to install and maintain, is durable and long-lasting, and can be painted in any color or texture you want.
The following are the standing seam roofing costs according to the materials used:
- Aluminum roof: $11 to $17 Per Sq. Ft
- Copper roof: $23 to $35 Per Sq. Ft
- Metal roof: $10 to $16 Per Sq. Ft
- Zinc roof: $15 to $25 Per Sq. Ft
- Galvanized steel roof: $9.50 to $15.50 Per Sq. Ft
Zinc in the seam metal roofing industry is gaining popularity in the US due to its self-healing characteristics and corrosion-resistant properties.
- Long-lasting and durable
- Leak prevention and fire resistant
- Boost property’s resale value
- Compatible with solar panels
- Less maintenance
- Many color choices
- Typically cost 15-20% more than exposed fasteners
- Very noisy, especially during rainfall and storms
- Improper installation can cause oil canning
Standing seam metal roofs cost less than other types because they don’t require sophisticated installation methods like asphalt shingle roofs. They’re just slapped onto your building’s structure with no need for additional tools or materials other than nails. It is an excellent choice if finances are tight, but you still want something durable enough for years down the road.
Choosing the Right Metal Roofing for Your Commercial Building
Choosing metal roofing for your commercial building is a big decision, and you need an experienced roofing contractor to ensure the installation is done correctly. For more information about metal roof systems for your commercial building, we recommend reading our guide to the complete benefits of metal roofing.
Need an expert commercial roofer? Contact Easy Roof Solutions in Arizona at (480) 489 6652 to schedule a roof consultation today!
Founder of Easy Roof Solutions, LLC. He started in the construction industry at the age of 14 and has been involved in it for over 25 years. His wide experience in commercial roofing speaks for itself.
Outside his roofing work, Ken enjoys being in the great outdoors, traveling to new places, and bonding with his wife and children.