What do you do after a storm damages your roof? It’s important to get things fixed, but you need to follow the right steps to avoid issues later.
What Are the Signs of Storm Damages on a Commercial Roof?
1. Bubbles – If moisture or air gets trapped in the layers of your roof, blisters and bubbles might form. After storm damage occurs, contact a local roofing contractor to inspect the area. Bubbles don’t indicate where the leak started. You need a professional with the right equipment to deal with this issue.
2. Water Leaks – An obvious sign of roof damage is leaking. They can happen immediately or wait a few days to appear because the water is moving slowly through the layers and deck into the interior space. Water damage on a low-slope roof is harder to diagnose. We must use special equipment in this situation, so it’s best to have the job done by a professional roofer.
3. Ponding – Ponding means the sustained presence of water on a flat roof 48 hours after the rainstorm. It’s caused by depressions and compacted insulation. Overall, it worsens with every storm because the water weight compresses. You must work with a professional to identify roof damage like this.
4. Mold Growth – Mold and mildew often follow water leaks. Mold is everywhere and only needs a moist and calm surface to spread. While roofers don’t generally remove mold, they can help you choose a remediation service.
5. HVAC Damage – Hail damage may likely lead to dents on the exterior heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) unit. We can help you assess the significant roof damage and determine what you need.
5 Things to Do If Your Commercial Roof Was Damaged and You’re Missing Shingles
After severe weather conditions, it’s best to check for storm and wind damage. Here are the steps to take:
1. Photograph the Damage
Walk around the property. If it’s safe, climb up to see any roof damage after a rain or hail storm. Take photos of any serious damage, such as fallen wood shingles, fallen trees, and loose roofing cement.
2. Call the Insurance Company
Call the insurance company and tell the representative that you’ve experienced roof storm damage. Provide the date of the severe storm and when you noticed the structural damage. Include information about high winds if you have it. The company should send an insurance adjuster out for a roof inspection.
3. File an Insurance Claim
File your insurance claim with your homeowner’s insurance provider.
4. Call a Trusted Roofing Contractor
After storm damage occurs, it’s best to call a roofing company for significant damage. You may need a roof replacement or repairs to the roof deck and other areas. The professional should provide information on repair costs and the repair process. This makes filing claims easier for insurance adjusters.
5. Make Repairs
Hail storm and rain can damage roofs easily. You may have:
- Missing shingle granules
- Damaged shingles
- Missing flashing
- Standing water after heavy rains
- Many others
Many contractors can help you make necessary repairs, such as adding additional shingles to the commercial property or home’s roof.
How to Prevent Storm Damages on a Commercial Roof
Here are some tips for preventing strong winds from doing damage:
- Plan for the worst.
- Create a maintenance plan.
- Inspect the flashings.
- Inspect the drains, downspouts, and gutters.
- Check all roof-mounted equipment.
- Get regular inspections of the roof.
- Replace damaged or missing shingles.
- Trim trees and remove overhanging branches.
- Remove debris from the roof as often as necessary.
[Read: Commercial Roofing Replacement Vs. Repair: Know What You Need]
FAQs: Storm Damage Roof Repair Guide
What Do You Do if Your Roof Is Damaged in a Storm?
Take these steps after a storm:
- Assess the damage.
- Make temporary fixes to reduce property damage.
- Contact the insurance company.
- Call a reputable contractor for assistance.
What Should You Look for in a Roof After a Storm?
Check for debris on the roof or debris on the ground after being blown from the roof. Look up before you ever get on a ladder to indicate problems. You may also call a reputable company like us to do this for you.
Does Homeowners Insurance Cover Roof Damage from Wind?
Typically, yes. Your homeowner’s insurance policy likely covers wind and storm damage. Make sure you read the fine print or ask a representative before an issue arises.
How Do You Know If Your Roof Was Damaged by the Storm?
You might notice leaks or water stains in the building. Sometimes, there are cracked or missing shingles. They could also be curled or split. Wrinkles and decay on flat roofing also indicate a problem.
Call A Trusted Roofing Contractor To Assess Storm Damage
If your commercial roof got damaged during a storm, it’s best to call Easy Roof Solutions for assistance. We can work with your insurance company to make roof repairs or recommend a full replacement. Contact us at (480) 489-6652 for a quote.
Founder of Easy Roof Solutions, LLC. He started in the construction industry at the age of 14 and has been involved in it for over 25 years. His wide experience in commercial roofing speaks for itself.
Outside his roofing work, Ken enjoys being in the great outdoors, traveling to new places, and bonding with his wife and children.